Probably the question we’re most frequently asked by our non-bicycling friends and colleagues is, “Why do you ride bicycles for transportation?”
Underpinning everything we do here at EcoVelo is the desire to reduce our dependence on the automobile while encouraging others to do the same. We strongly believe reducing automobile use can improve our neighborhoods, our cities, and ultimately, the world. While this is reason enough to leave our car in the garage, truth be told, there are other, more personal (selfish?) reasons why we ride bikes, including:
- the feeling of well-being that comes with physical activity in the out-of-doors;
- the tangible health benefits that come from daily exercise;
- the surprising amount of money that can be saved by eliminating an automobile;
- the greater connection with our community that comes from being out and exposed to our neighbors;
- the increased appreciation of nature that comes from daily exposure to the elements; and perhaps most importantly for us,
- the sheer joy of sharing the experience with friends and family.
Taken together, these benefits make a compelling case for transportational bicycling, and on a personal level, they make bicycle riding an extremely important part of our daily lives!
—Alan & Michael