Public is running a little “Cash for Clunkers” promotion. From now through July 31, donate an old bike to any Community Bicycle Organization and Public will give you $50 off any of their new bikes.
Community Bicycle Organizations are not-for-profit, volunteer run bike shops that predominately cater to under-served communities. According to bikecollectives.org, the following types of organizations fall under the CBO heading:
- Non-profit bicycle organizations
- Bike shops that are accessible to people without money
- Shops that have an educational focus, teaching others how to fix bikes
- Shops that are volunteer run
- Organizations that ship bikes to communities in other countries
- Shops that provide free or low-cost services to the community
- Organizations that recycle bicycles and parts
You can access a list of U.S.-based Community Bicycle Organizations here.