I received an advance copy of the Planet Bike Superflash Turbo tail light this week. This is the new, updated Superflash that’s being upgraded from 1/2-watt to 1-watt and given a slightly different flashing pattern. As you can see in the photos, the Turbo is significantly brighter than the original Superflash (the old version is mounted on the seatpost). It’s rated for double the output (of course), and I’d say it’s at least twice as bright as the original. The flashing pattern is slower and slightly different, but it’s still essentially the same eye-popping strobe, only much brighter.
This new light is so bright that you’ll want to carefully consider where and how to use the flashing mode; it may be too bright for some circumstances. Unlike the original, the steady mode is so bright that it completely illuminates the casing, dramatically improving 180 degree visibility. Honestly, I can’t see ever needing a brighter tail light than this one. The output is incredible given its size and power source. Highly recommended.
- 1 Watt Power LED plus 2 red LEDs for visibility up to 1 mile
- New attention-grabbing Turbo flash pattern
- Soft-touch power switch accesses flashing or steady mode for up to 100 hours of run time on two AAA batteries
- Ultra compact vertical design is weatherproof, lightweight and durable
- Includes bike mounts and clip mount for multiple mounting options
- Available this spring for $29.99-$34.99
About Planet Bike
Whenever I review one of their products, I like to point out that Planet Bike donates a full 25% of company profits to grassroots bicycle advocacy organizations. Learn more here.
Disclosure: Planet Bike is a sponsor of this website and provided the Superflash Turbo for this review.