A fellow bike blogger recently asked me, “What is the one reason, above all others, that you ride a bicycle?”
By now, most of us are aware of the many benefits of riding bicycles for transportation, some of which include:
- the health benefits that come from daily exercise;
- the surprising amount of money that can be saved by eliminating an automobile;
- the greater connection with our community that comes from being out and exposed to our neighbors;
- the increased appreciation of nature that comes from daily exposure to the elements; and
- the smaller environmental impact that results from reducing automobile use.
But beyond all of these tangible benefits, the primary reason I always come back to the bike is the simple feeling of gliding through the world under my own power. Simply put, there’s nothing that provides quite the same sense of pure freedom and childlike joy as riding a bicycle. For me, all of the rational arguments for riding a bicycle pale in comparison.