A few random thoughts triggered by this morning’s commute photo:
- Bike commuting beats the heck out of sitting on the freeway in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
- The new bars and saddle really changed the character of this bike. I didn’t think the below-the-saddle bar height was going to work for me at all, but it’s nice having my weight distributed a little more evenly between the bars and saddle.
- Speaking of saddles, the Selle An-Atomica beats the heck out of the Brooks it replaced for sheer comfort. BTW – does anyone know the status of S-A with Tom Milton’s passing?
- The Pass & Stow porteur rack with matching Freight Baggage Rack Bag make a super front catch-all carrier.
- I realized the other day that I’ve probably shifted to the granny ring on this bike all of 3 times over the past two years, and then only to test a shifter. With that in mind, I have in the works to turn this into a 1×9 drivetrain. More on this later.
- At the right of the photo is an intersection where one of our bike trails meets one of our bike lanes. Notice the stop sign and the generous width of the the bike lanes going in either direction perpendicular to the path. The same type of on-street lanes connect with the off-street path on the other end as well. It’s not a bad system.
- That Arkel Bug is a tough bag. It’s seen a ton of abuse and it looks like new.
- Surly needs to put kickstand plates on their LHTs.
- The Canon G10 is a sweet little on-bike camera.
- The best thing in this photo is the little highlight on the top tube.
Have a super day and a safe commute!