May is National Bike Month, with events taking place across the country to celebrate and encourage the use of bicycles for transportation. Of course, here at EcoVelo every month is bike month, but we believe May provides a special opportunity to reach out and encourage friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors to give bike commuting a try.
In Sacramento, the May is Bike Month campaign encourages individuals and groups to ride their bikes for transportation and recreation while logging their miles on the May is Bike Month website, with the goal of reaching 1,000,000 collective miles for the month. Last year, over 6,000 participants logged more than 1.29 million miles, easily surpassing the region’s million mile goal.
Following are some of the events taking place locally during the month of May:
- May 1 — May is Bike Month Kick-off Event. Rally and ride hosted by Placerville Mayor Pierre Rivas and Andrea Lepore of Hot Italian Restaurant. 1 p.m. at River Walk Park in West Sacramento.
- May 1 — Sacramento Tweed’s “Tweed Lite” ride. Visit the Sacramento Tweed website for details.
- May 14-16 — Bicycle Film Festival in Sacramento’s Fremont Park
- May 16-17 — AMGEN Tour of California
- May 20 — Sacramento Region Bike to Work Day and Capitol BikeFest
- May 27 — Bicycle Night with the Sacramento River Cats
Other local events and rides will be posted on the May is Bike Month website throughout the month. For those in other parts of the country, the League of American Bicyclists’ Bike Month Special Events page has a comprehensive list of nationwide events organized by State.
To cap it all off, National Bike to Work Week is May 17-21, and National Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 21. Many companies across the country are making special accommodations for their employees on that day, and many bicycle advocacy organizations will be out on the roads and trails supporting new bike commuters. This is a great opportunity for advocates and enthusiasts to lend a hand to ensure newcomers to bike commuting have a successful first ride to work.