NuVinci’s new N360 CVP hub is due to debut at The Bicycle Show in Portland, Oregon this weekend. NuVinci lists the following improvements over their original model N170 hub:
- Lighter Weight: Over 30% Lighter
- Smaller Size: 17% Smaller Diameter
- Wider Ratio Range: 360% “Gear-Free” Shifting
- Easier Shift Effort: Even Under Load
- Less Shifter Rotation: 3/4 Turn from Low to High
- New, Sleek Shifter: More Intuitive; Easier Twist Adjustment
The sheer bulk of the original hub turned off a lot of people. This is still a big, heavy hub (5.4 lbs.), but it’s within a more realistic range for commuter bikes now. In my opinion, one of the most important improvements is the shorter throw on the shifter, which in the past was ridiculously long. I’m looking forward to learning more about this hub once it’s out in the wild.