In the spirit of taking a look back while continuing to move forward, we gathered together some highlights from the past year at EcoVelo. Let’s start by looking at the individual posts that received the most direct traffic:
Posts with the Most Views
- Gallery: John’s Rohloff-Equipped Surly Cross-Check
- Keen Commuter
- Gallery: Alan’s Surly Long Haul Trucker
- More Sam H. Pics
- Jtek Alfine/Nexus Compatible Bar-End Shifter
- First Look: Civia Bryant
- Basil Kavan II Natural Panniers
- Trek Belleville
- Planet Bike Blaze 1W
- Velo Orange Model 3 Saddle
Most of these posts had high numbers because they received incoming links from well-known, high-traffic cycling websites. Others were popular because pretty bikes and cool parts always get lots of attention.
Next, let’s look at the posts that generated the most comments:
Posts with the Most Comments
- My Stance On Bicycle Helmets
- Bike Cameras
- Quiet Killers
- Bicycle Helmet Pros & Cons
- Bicycle Mirror Pros & Cons
- The Decidedly Unfashionable Chartreuse Safety Vest
- Hybrid Electric Bicycles
- Foot Loose
- A Friendly Debate
- Cyclelicious: A United Front?
Most of these posts made the list because the topics were controversial enough to spark “lively” discussions. The big surprise was the popularity of the Bike Cameras post. Though we didn’t see that one coming, we’ve since learned that photographers are even more opinionated than bicyclists! ;-)
And finally, in no particular order, here are a few of our personal favorites for the year:
Some of Our Personal Favorites
- The Endless Summer Photo Contest — Because it was so much fun for us and everyone else seemed to enjoy it too.
- A New Bike and Some New Friends — Because the bike made Michael very happy, and because it was such a treat to meet the wonderful crew at Rivendell.
- Breezer Catalog and Website — Because shooting photos for the Breezer catalog and meeting the nice people at Breezer was incredibly awesome on so many levels.
- Sacramento Tweed Ride — Because it was a blast and we’re thankful for the new friends we’ve made.
- Happy Autumnal Equinox — Because we really like this photo.
- Four Bikes, Four Bars — Because it’s cool that this post inspired Marty Manley (former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Labor, founder of online bookseller Alibris, and “slightly obsessed” bicyclist) to post an essay to his blog titled, Wonderful dream bicycles that change and grow.
- Vintage Fun 2009 — Because this photo nicely captures how we feel about riding together as a couple.
- Got Lights on Bikes — Because it felt great to win a snazzy bike for the Kiddo.
- The Phoenix — Because we’re thankful that our old site was resurrected by our friends Rob and Penny Mackenzie.
We also want to take this opportunity to offer a heartfelt “thank you” to our readers, sponsors, friends, family, and fellow bloggers. It’s only with your support that we can do what we do. We have big plans for 2010, so stick around and enjoy the ride!
Wishing you a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year! —Alan & Michael