Recently I’ve been riding the new Raleigh Alley Way outfitted with a Gates Carbon Drive and Shimano Alfine internal gear hub. I’ve never experienced such a smooth, quiet drivetrain. It feels like an over-oiled fixed-gear drivetrain, but with 8 speeds and no grease stains; completely clean, smooth, crisp, and quiet. From all reports the bugs are pretty much worked out of this system and it’s ready for prime time. My experience so far bears this out. If you have an opportunity to ride a bike with this drivetrain, definitely give it a try; you’ll be amazed by the performance.
Following are a few benefits of the Carbon Drive System:
- Durable (CDS technology has been used with motorcycles and dragsters for years)
- Special sprockets shed all types of debris including mud and snow
- 100% maintenance free and clean
- Twice the life of a bike chain
- Lighter than conventional chain drives