I have an Arkel Metropolitan pannier (“Metro” for short) in-house for review and I took it out on a real commute for the first time today. Here are a few first impressions:
- It’s a sharp looking bag.
- It looks business-like and fits in well at the office.
- It rides a little higher than some bags, making for more heel clearance.
- Even though it appears to be smaller than the Arkel Bug (review here), it holds about the same amount of stuff.
- The single shoulder strap is well-padded, but if you carry a lot of junk like I do and you have a multi-modal commute that involves getting on and off of transit and walking long distances, the Bug with its double backpack straps is likely to be more comfortable for you.
- It has a flat bottom and stands up nicely on its own.
- The overall quality and workmanship is vintage Arkel – in a word, superb.
I also have a matching Metro handlebar bag on test. I’ll publish full reviews with detailed photos of both once I’ve had more time to give them a real workout.