From the SRAM Cycling Fund Website:
The SRAM Cycling Fund was formed in September 2008. It was funded with US$10 million. The objective is to grant approximately $2 million per year for 5 years to existing national cycling advocacy groups.
The goal of the SRAM Cycling Fund is to help advocates and enthusiasts build a better environment for cycling. SRAM fundamentally believes that:
- Bicycles improve the environment.
- Bicycles ease traffic congestion.
- Bicycles reduce the cost of transportation.
- Bicycles improve health and reduce obesity.
- Cyclists are a passionate user group that support and enhance the areas in which they ride.
The barrier to increased bicycle use in daily lives is the lack of appropriate infrastructure. The US has built its transportation infrastructure around automobiles with little attention given to the role or benefits of cycling. Europe’s cycling infrastructure is much more advanced, but it also has lots of room for improvement. SRAM is convinced that through the committed efforts of cycling advocates and cycling enthusiasts that increased funding for cycling infrastructure can be realized.
Kudos to SRAM!!