This is my modified Surly Long Haul Trucker dressed for winter commuting in Northern California.
- Headlights (Busch & Müller Ixon, Fenix L2D) – The Ixon is aimed straight forward and serves as my “be seen” light, the L2D is aimed low and serves as my “to see” light.
- Tail Light (Planet Bike SuperFlash) – The best little LED tail light on Earth! I run a second on the back of my helmet.
- SKS Fenders – These are my favorite plastic fenders. Not as nice as Honjos, but functional and tough.
- Mud Flap – Take your pick: plastic, leather, or rubber – a must have for winter.
- Arkel Bug Pannier w/Rain Cover – Read my review here.
- Neoprene Saddle Cover – If you’re running a Brooks saddle, a must-have item.
- Nitto Chainguard – A nice accessory for utility cycling any time of the year.
- Japanese Brass Bell – Bells are the most under-rated bike accessory, particularly if you ride multi-use paths.
- Klean Kanteen – Don’t forget to hydrate in the winter too!
- Acorn Handlebar Bag – For carrying a spare tube, multi-tool, etc.
I’m always anxious to receive submissions for the EcoVelo Gallery, so consider taking a few photos of your winter bike and sending them to me for inclusion. Visit the Submission Guidelines page for more information.