I bought the Iron Horse Warrior Expert in 2004, I think. I used to be pretty hardcore Mtn Biker in the nineties and after about 5 year layoff, I really wanted to get back into it but, work and family obligations derailed those plans. I think, this bike has seen actual mtn trails 4 times. It’s probably been ridden a total of 50 times in 4 years. This year as the cost of fuel increased I started taking the bus for my 70 mile round trip commute to DC from Loudoun County, VA. After a couple of weeks driving to the bus stop, I got the keys to the bus stop bike locker and I started riding my my Iron horse to the bus stop.
After the first couple of days riding this bike to the bus stop, I realized that the standard Mtn bike setup (Cross country riser bars) were hurting my wrists and I decided that I needed to make some changes. I know the natural “hand-parallel-to-body” position would be better for my wrists and after some research I decided on the Nitto North bars. The other bar I was considering was the Nitto Albatross bar. With the barcons, the Nitto North allows me three different hand positions to choose, and just switching from one postion to another definitely helps my wrists.
The fork was switched out from the Marzocchi EXR fork with, I think, 4+ inches of travel to a Kona 29′er fork unsuspended fork (I wanted to maintain the bike geometry). Bike looks a little funny with a 29er for and 26 in wheels but it works and the bike handles very well.
Other things about the bike that might be of interest to commuters:
- Planet Bike Speed EZ ATB Fenders. Easy to install on Disk brake bikes. Not rock solid but does what is supposed to do
- Topeak Explorer Rack w/ disc Mounts. Solid rack and verrrrry easy to install on bikes with disk brakes.
- Specialized Nimbus Armadillos tires – Great commuting tires. However, if i had to do it again, I would get marathon racers with tire liner. I’m a big Schwalbe fan.
- Performance bike campus pedal – Nothing special but they work. Nice to be able to rid my bike with cycling shoes or regular shoes
- Dinotte AA headlight and tail light
- Ortlieb large office bag- I can carry a laptop, change of clothes
Happy bike-commuting! Mike